Monday, June 6, 2011

Weekend Summary: In which the weather turns, long losts are found, confessions are made, we come over all neighborly, and the weather turns...again.

You may have surmised from my post title that I am feeling a bit rambly. So settle in if you've a yen for a good ramble. Here we go...

The weather turns -
Beginning Friday, a heatwave broke out (relatively speaking that is). The sun was a star and sweaters were considered but, ultimately found unnecessary. It was a weekend where I pondered how people are like plants; after winter's interminable dormancy, we stretch our necks out to the sun, unfurl our tendrils - leaf and bud and bloom...and begin to brush up against each other. Suddenly, a whole social scene comes to life. You got your birds, your bees; your flora and your fauna. It occurs to me that I may be taking this a bit too far. All I am saying is, everyone is out and about interacting and smiling at one another because the sun is shining.

Even yours truly, through some deviance of nature, was transformed from 'House Mouse' into social butterfly.

Which leads me to Confession #1 -
I confess, when it comes to social networks such as Facebook, I have a love-hate relationship. Wait, let's call it a fascination-trepidation kind of thing. Whilst I sometimes feel a bit silly about the whole thing, I have also had the opportunity to re-connect with old friends that otherwise would have been out of reach.

Which in turn leads me to long losts being found -
Through the slippery slope of Facebook, yes you guessed it, one of those long lost friends showed up. Plans were made, a meeting took place, and 13 years (give or take) is a lot to catch up on. We did our best and as I was driving home I felt so glad to have the chance to know him again.

When I got home from my meeting up, I found the Engineer on the front stoop sitting with 'The Quiet Bachelor', our across the street neighbor. Yes, the season has started. This is where we come over all neighborly - for the next night was spent with our neighbors to the side, in front of a fire pit, summer drinks in hand, and the lazy feeling of a backyard get-together settling in.

Sunday was Family Dinner alfresco. There was a gorgeous feast, a wild rumpus commenced, and of course frozen pops. Amidst all these goings on, in all of this summertime feeling...the days jovially skipped along. Which is what us leads to Confession #2 -

I am a terrible mother. I got so caught up in our 'Sunshine Family' weekend, that I completely forgot about the very big important end of the year school project that Pony Girl needed by Monday morning. As I write this, it is late Sunday night, the girl all tucked in and sleeping. So, if I'm up early and small miracles happen, she will wind up at school with a presentation of the basic facts and a doubtlessly shoddy diorama.

As we were cleaning up from our family dinner, the weather turned again, with thunder and lightening and of course, drops of rain.

Edited to add: It is now Monday afternoon and I can happily report that small miracles do indeed happen. Pony Girl went off to school with her project tucked under her arm, a trial run of the presentation under her belt, and a pair of pink feathered curly antennae atop her mop for good luck.

I am wishing you all your very own small miracles this week.

12 comments:

Colette said...

So funny how a little bit of sun can make us all shine a little brighter. Sounds like you've had a wonderful weekend - I think confession #2 is in all of our closets at some point! x

Flaming Nora said...

Phew, I knew you could do it!
Pink feathered antennae are what every girl needs when making an important presentation. I shall remember this fact and don the Shreck ears next time I have an important meeting.

Pink Milk said...

Oh how lovely. My maternal heart did skip a familiar beat - yes, we've all been there - so glad the project turned out. Well done you!

The sun does funny, but lovely, things to us all.

Heather x

chriswreckage said...

I too am so glad!! I had a fantastic time.

Debbie @ Swampbilly Ranch said...

I haven't seen a wild rumpus since, "Where The Wild Things Are"

Bobo Bun said...

What a wonderful sociable few days. Love the sound of sitting out front with neighbours. Not that there are any here I'd fancy doing that with.

Well done you for getting her project all sorted. You managed to chill and then pulled out all the stops too.

X

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

I long for some alfresco dining on our being build as we speak big new deck! it is very exciting! your weekend looks lovely.

Sherri B. said...

Everyone has smiles all around and I even have a bit of pink skin from the lovely time in the garden.

Facebook, hmm, well I still haven't done that yet, sister keeps nagging me to 'get with it'.

So glad that Pony Girl got her project done, I had a bad feeling in my stomach just remembering my school days! xo

Jennie said...

Wow - what a weekend you had!!
(you need another weekend now to recover!)x

Tas said...

I have yet to make a diorama. With 3 kids, I see a few in my future. I thought that it might just be an American thing but observing other mums here with older children, nup, we get to suffer too ;)

june at noon said...

Goodness, what a whirlwind! So glad Pony Girl (and you) pulled it off!

Janee Lookerse said...

What a lovely weekend! It sounds full of fun and love. Especially that backyard barbeque part! :)

xoxo
Janee